Gingerbread Cookies with A Chocolate Twist
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter, softened
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 large egg,
1/2 cup molasses
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons water
1 tablespoon corn syrup
food coloring (optional)
1. Start by pouring the flour in a medium bowl. Add the cocoa powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk it all together, then set this bowl aside
2. In a big bowl, mix together the softened butter and the shortening until it gets smooth (If you have an electric mixer, you can speed up the process). Add in brown sugar and mix it up until it gets fluffy. Then, add the egg and stir it in. Next, pour in the molasses and mix it again.
3. Now, we’re ready to combine our 2 bowls, but don’t do it all at once, because then it’s hard to mix them together. Just add a portion of the flour mixture into the bowl of wet ingredients you just made and mix it in. Then add some more and mix, and keep doing this until it’s all combined.
4. Now, stir in your chocolate chips.
5. Next, take out your dough and separate it into 3 parts. Roll each part up into a ball, then smash them flat. Wrap each of these discs in plastic and refrigerate them for about 2 hours.
6. With an adult present, preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Take some of your extra flour and dust it onto a clean work surface. Using a rolling pin, flatten out 1 disc of dough until it’s about 1/4 inch thick.
7. Use your cookie cutters to cut out shapes and place them on the baking sheet. Do this with the other 2 discs. You can even roll up your scraps to make even more cookies.
8. Once your cookie sheet is full, place it in the oven to bake for 7 minutes with an adult present. It’s best to rotate the pan halfway through your baking time to ensure they bake evenly. When they’re done, take them out of the oven to cool. Continue this process until all your cookies have been baked.
9. Decorate any way you want!
Subscribe if you love Nickelodeon and want to see more! http://goo.gl/JJgxNm?xid=YTdesc
Nickelodeon is the number-one brand for kids with original cartoons, sitcoms, movies, award shows, products and more! Here on our YouTube you’ll find SpongeBob SquarePants, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Henry Danger, The Thundermans, Game Shakers, Every Witch Way, Make it Pop, Harvey Beaks, Pig Goat Banana Cricket, Sanjay and Craig, Bella and the Bulldogs, 100 Things to do Before High School, Alvinnn!, Wits Academy and Nick content from around the world.
Need to know when your favorite TV show is on? Go to: http://www.nick.com/shows/tvschedule/
For even more fun, games, and full episodes log on to www.nick.com
More from Nickelodeon:
Official Nickelodeon Website: http://www.nick.com/?xid=YTdesc
Official Nickelodeon App: http://www.nick.com/app?xid=YTdesc
Like Nickelodeon: https://www.facebook.com/nickelodeon?xid=YTdesc
Follow Nickelodeon: https://twitter.com/NickelodeonTV?xid=YTdesc
Nickelodeon Tumblr: http://nickelodeon.tumblr.com?xid=YTdesc
Nickelodeon Instagram: http://instagram.com/nickelodeontv?xid=YTdesc