Most people think rats are filthy animals that can't be kept as pets. I am one of those people who think differently, because I have two rats by the names of Scabbers and Templeton, and LostLinerLegend also agree with me because he has two rats called Spock and Kirk. Read the reasons to get fancy/Dumbo rats below! (Take note this is referring to pet rats, not wild ones.)
1. Rats are very clean. The myth that rats are nasty because of their tendency to eat foods we won't is false. Rats spend almost half their day cleaning themselves. They wash themselves by licking and drawing their paws over their heads and then licking their belly and private areas.
2. Rats are very smart. Take Scabbers, my 4-month-old rat, for instance (who is sitting on my lap, cleaning himself, as I type this), who has learned how to come in just 2 practice sessions. Rats can learn to fetch, walk a tightrope, and many other things.
3. Rats wash their pet-parents by licking them.
4. Rats are low-cost pets to keep and maintain. The average cost for 2 rats (rats need companionship) a year is about $40-$100. But cages can cost $80-$200, while the rats themselves cost $20 (for 2 or 3). But rat owners say their personalities are well worth the money.
5. Rats can be allowed to go outside and travel. Rats love to travel, and most love going outside, although I recommend rats being taught to come before allowed to venture outside.
There are a few downsides:
1. Rats don't have a bladder. Which means, they almost constantly pee. But this is because UV light reflects off their urine, which shows a trail to predatory animals.
2. Rats can't eat processed corn. This blocks their intestines, so I recommend Oxbow Health rat food, and that you avoid Kaytee Rat, Hamster and Gerbil Food.
3. Rats don't live very long. Their average life span is 3 years although some can live to 5 years.
So what are you waiting for? Talk to your mum or dad and ask if you can get some rats! Comment below if you have any grudges against rats, have rats, or want to learn more! Thanks for reading!