Hmm... okay, here are some tips from me. (I've never been in your shoes before, but I will try to help.)
- Try to start a normal conversation with Angela. Don't rush it, and just act normal.
- At this point you want to make sure it is private.
- Then, as casually as you can, tell her that you kind of like the guy that she likes. Make sure she doesn't think you are trying to brag or hurt her feeling.
- At some point, you need to drop the casualness and get real. Let her know that she is a really important person to you.
- If she has taken the previous news well enough, tell her that if James doesn't think she is good enough, then maybe he isn't good enough for her.
Again, try to stay calm and make sure she doesn't overreact. Be nice to her no matter what she says.
I have not ever had an issue like this, but I know that you are really worried about this issue, and I would be too. Don't take my advice over someone else's who knows more than I do. Good luck! : )