Here are some IBISPaintX (the free version of the mobile digital painting app) tips for novices! It can take a while to master this app, and it is not like Sketchpad or generic sketch apps that come with your phone. The app can be used with any Apple mobile product, as well as any more modern mobile phones and tablets!
- Draw the full drawing first, and keep your lines closed. This helps when you use the bucket tool, you don't want to have your full canvas fill up with color, only the part you want to have it.
- Use layers. Go to the side of your app, where it has a pop-up window showing your artwork. Press "+" to add. It is useful to color the hair, eyes, clothes, etc on different layers.
- Use the "overlay" option. It's the little button that lets you color only within the layer below. First, add another layer and press the overlay icon, positioning it above the layer you want to color in. It is useful for shadowing, so use the little icon beside it that has "Darken, Multiply" etc in it and press Multiply for shading.
- Use different brushes. I find the airbrush ones useful for highlights, as well as the dip brushes.
- For skin shading, use peach for tan, and a dark brown for darker skin, etc.
- For highlights, go to overlay and select any of the Lighten options, such as Add.
Hope you use and enjoy these!